16 and wondering if I should enlist or get a commission.
Create Post

Post 16 and wondering if I should enlist or get a commission.

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I'm 16 years old and trying to figure out my next move when I get out of HS. For years all I have wanted to do was join the marines. I make it a daily goal to work out and keep myself physically fit. My parents are all for this.

So here is my problem...Until recently I was planning on (attempting) to go to VMI and get my commission as an officer. Ive been thinking a lot lately about it and I don't think its the best course of action. I am an active member of Civil Air Patrol and I look for leadership opportunities everywhere. This summer I'm going to a military base and NC and also I am going to spend a week as flight sgt for CAP cadets on Paris island. So what would you do I'm my shoes? I really don't want to spend my whole life in the Marines. Just a few years. If I get a commission then I believe I have to spend 4 in collage and then 7-8 active. That's a long time. I want to start a family and run a small business like all my past ancestors (I have great ambitions I know) . So anyway, what are the pros and cons of each?

One more thing, I have a friend who is looking to join also. He said that two people can request to stay together through basic training/afterwards. Was he right? What does this include?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but just think how many you had when you joined...

Credits
    Savings
    First thing here is fill out your profile.
    This topic has been covered before . Do a search.
    99 of us out of a hundred will tell you to keep in school and futher your education
    IF that is an OPTION you have open.

'Nuff Said

Fill out more of your profile besides a first and last name....site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums.

While this is the Ask A Marine forum and we are here to answer your questions........this topic has been asked an answered many times before.

As m14ed already mentioned to you, 99% of everyhere here will tell you to further your education, then decide after that if you want to still go enlisted or the officer route. This is a decision that you have to make.

Also, on this site, Marines is always capitalized......and there's nothing basic about Marine Corps boot camp.

BASIC,BASIC that's for the army of none, the Marines, Good Luck, Semper Fidelis.

Thread Information